Air fresheners are some of the worst offenders of toxic chemicals. I dare you to grab one in your house and look at the ingredients on the back, you will be terrified by what you see. Knowing this I have put together 4 alternatives to those harmful sprays. All simple, easy, and effective.
I have heard so many people rave about Sea Salt Spray. The hair dressers saying you have to buy it, its great. I was a little skeptical. And of course I didn’t want to spend money on something with chemicals and something that wouldn’t work. So I made the choice to make my Own Sea Salt Spray. It was actually very simple.
Some say you don’t need to wash your face and others say you do. Bottom line I feel if there is dirt or make up on my face I need to wash it off. When it comes to face wash, there can be some pretty toxic chemicals in them, Here is a list to look out for…Toxic Avoid List. So how can you clean your face in the simplest, easiest and natural way?
Going Green has become a trend lately. It sounds all the rage and yes it is wonderful and I couldn’t be happier that I am on a path to being green. Something you don’t see a lot though is, going green is a journey. It is a huge commitment. As is anything great for your wellness and the wellness of the world around you. I have been walking along my journey of going green I have found a few tricks to help the process.
Shopping for food can be a confusing and long process. Especially with all the different labels, and what do they even mean. What is Healthy, what is not? What does natural mean verses organic? The questions go on and on. Here is my solution…Learn what they mean and remember the ones that are important to you.
Pet allergies can be horrible especially when you just want to snuggle up with the animal you love. I have a friend who recently asked me about natural solutions to pet allergies. She didn’t want to take medication so I wanted to help the best I could and thus my research began. Here are my results…
Cleaning supplies can be one of the most harmful things we keep in our homes. Knowing this is scary. We have to clean right? And what about when your little ones ask to help you clean? I know my little guy loves to help at least for now! With all this in mind I wanted to find a spray I could make at home that was effective and safe. Here is what I came up with…
Children love to get little gifts and surprises. I have a little one asking me when Easter is coming almost every day and I know he is looking forward to receiving some little gifts. While I do think teaching him about what Easter’s really about is important, right now I would like to create an Easter Basket that is not full of useless items and candy. I have searched and found some great options I wanted to share. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
In our world today we have many environmental issues. When we begin to teach the importance of our world to our children we have taken the first step in helping create a healthier world. For many of us learning about the issues is not enough and often too much for young children to understand so we need to create a connection with nature. Our children are the future; what they believe they will create. It is a passion of mine to send my children out into the world with an understanding of how important it is to take care of our environment. So where to begin? What will they understand? Don’t stress about that, just start with something. There are many ways to teach children about our environment and create a connection with nature.
Here are 10 Ways to Raise Eco-Friendly Children
- Create a Garden! This can be flowers, vegetables, herbs…whatever you choose. Have the little ones help with planting seeds, watering and caring for the garden. This teaches them about the beauty that comes from our world and connects them with nature while they’re getting dirty and exploring.
- Take a hike. It can be a short hike. It can be a walk outside. Point out all the animals or plants you spot. This shows them nature surrounds us.
- Use reusable grocery and shopping bags. And when asked, explain why you use them instead of plastic bags. This shows that it is important for us to protect our environment.
- Make recycling a family thing. Ask the children where that goes, the trash or recycling. If they don’t know explain why it goes in either place. This gives them the ability to understand and begin to be proactive themselves. Giving them the power to make the choice. ( Children usually like to be independent so they will enjoy this)
- Compost! I know this may seem like work, but it’s really not so bad. You can have a Kitchen Compost Bin that goes to an Outside Compost Bin when full (look at your local home store for an outside bin). Fruit &veggie scraps, egg shells, coffee grinds can all go into a compost bin. This will teach them to give back to the environment and not to waste useable goods. A big plus is that the compost can be used for you garden and you don’t need to buy soil.
- Take them to a local farm and/or nature center. Let them explore how humans, animals, and plants/trees all work together. This teaches them that we are all interconnected and what we do effects the world we live in. Also bonds them with nature.
- Read books about nature and the environment. Such as…
- The Lorax – this is a great story of how what we do affects our world. It is also a movie
- One Tree (Green Start)- IKIDS, made with recycled materials
- Michael Recycle – Ellie Bethel
- Our Big Home – Linda Glaser
- The Magic School Bus and the Climate Challenge- Joanna Cole
- 365 Ways to Live Green for Kids – Sheri Amsel
- Even when it is cold out explore nature. Try out some fun eco-websites with games and adventures for children.
- Have Educational Earth Movies for Rainy or sick days. Yes you want to get out in nature as often as possible. There are also many parts of the world that children may not get to see and these educational movies allow them to see the whole picture.
- Disney's Earth
- Disney's Oceans
- Any of the Disney Nature Movies
- Dr. Seuss' The Lorax – Not Documentary Educational, it has a powerful message though
- Ferngully - The Last Rainforest – Again this cartoon has a powerful message even if it is not Documentary Educational.
- Show them how important a healthy world/environment is to you. Children look up to us as parents/caregivers and think we can do no wrong. So everything we do is teaching them.
Let’s begin to raise Eco-friendly Children and help to create a better future. What is important to them is what will be important to future generations. Teach them all you can!
PS Stay Green!
You May also be Interested In
This is one of my favorite do it yourself projects. And project is a big word, this is not a project. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Simple Easy and I can never find chapstick I like more! Have you ever made your own products? Yes or no this is a great one to start with.
What You Need
- 2 ½ tsp Mango Butter
- 1 tsp Almond Oil
- 1 tsp Beeswax
- Essential Oils
- Lip Balm tubes
- Dropper (optional)
How to make Chap Stick
- Take a pint size mason jar (A double boiler works as well) and place Mango Butter, Almond oil, and Beeswax in the jar.
- Place an inch or two of water in a pot. Put the Mason jar in the pot and turn on stove to med-high heat.
- Watch and shake jar occasionally as the contents melts together. While melting line up three Lip Balm tubes.
- Once all is melted turn off the heat and add 1 drop of essential oil of choice ( or 1 drop of two different essential oils)
- Then use the dropper to put mixture into the tubes. Do this quickly as the mixture will begin to harden.
- Let the tubes sit for a few hours to harden fully.
- Voila! You have your very own Chapstick!
This is going to be soft to medium, to make it hard add more beeswax. Also this recipe makes three tubes. If you want to make more than that double or triple the recipe. I chose mango butter because I think it is softer and smoother, shea butter and cocoa butter work with this recipe too. Everything you need can be found here.
Some of our Favorite Essential Oils to use
You May also be Interested In
What if you could make your Anti-Aging Face Wash in your Kitchen for less than $20? Would you think I was joking? Well I’m not! It is totally possible! And here is how you do it…
All you Need
- Castile Soap
- Tamanu Oil
- Essential Oils – Frankincense, Lavender, Hawaiian Sandalwood
- Distilled or filtered water
How is it possible? This is how I make mine
- I grab a 2oz glass bottle (cobalt), a small funnel and a ½ TBSP and 1 TBSP measuring spoons.
- First I add 1 TBSP Tamanu Oil. Then 1 ½ TBSP Castile Soap.
- Careful drop 7 drops of Frankincense, 5 drops of Lavender, and 3 drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood.
- Fill up the rest with water.
- Shake it up and you have your DIY Anti-Aging Face Wash!
It can sit on the shelf for 6 months. Shake up before every use to insure all contents are mixed well together.
Why is this Anti-Aging?
Tamanu Oil comes from the South Pacific and has the capacity to promote formation of new tissue. A Unique quality which accelerates the growth of healthy skin. It was traditional used in wound care and is making its way to US and European cosmetic industry. It will leave no oily residue and promotes healthy skin. As aging occurs we produces less skins or in other words our skin does not rejuvenate as quickly. Tamanu oil will help assist our skin in healthy cell growth. Read more about Tamanu Oil here.
Frankincense is all around an amazing Essential oil. It has Tissue regeneration and anti-inflammatory properties. Frankincense has such a high vibration it is great for healing. Also assists with immune support. It is soothing to the nervous system and the skin.
Lavender is very calming. It can help reduce redness and/or irritation in the skin. Also a great assistant in combating dry skin.
Hawaiian Sandalwood may help to protect from harmful effects of UV radiation. This is also a very healing oil. May assist with dry skin too.
Believe me yet? Try it out! Everything you need can be found here
Note: The cost of products needed may be higher then $20 however the amount you use costs Less then $20 and leaves you with the rest of the products to use for other DIY or by themselves :)
You May also be Interested In
I absolutely love the way this makes my skin feel! It is wonderful! I try to Exfoliate once a month to get rid of the dead skin cells. I have learned over the years that Exfoliating helps keep the skin fresh, smooth, and young! Here is one of my favorite exfoliators, I make in the kitchen!
- Coconut flakes
- Honey ( Local, if that is not possible, I linked you to an alternative option)
- Essential Oil/s (optional)
To make a One –Time Use Exfoliator
- 4 TBSP Coconut flakes and 2-2 ½ TBSP Honey
- Mix Together
- You can add Essential Oils only 1-2 drops. I used geranium this morning in my Exfoliator. Lavender, Frankincense, and Cedarwood are also good for the skin. Lemon or Wild Orange are good to help pull out Toxins.
To make a Several Use Exfoliator
- 1 cup Coconut Flakes and ½ cup of Honey
- Mix together
- Add Essential Oils if you wish
- Store in a Glass Container for 3-6 months
I chose to use coconut flakes because they gentler on the skin, which is better for exfoliating the face. Honey has antimicrobial properties and is just wonderful for the skin. This morning I used Geranium essential oil not only because it has a great smell, it is also a powerful healer for the skin.
And enjoy! Make your skin love you and love your skin!
You May also be Interested In
What is healthy? What is “right or okay” to eat? One day eggs are good and the next they are bad. One experts says no don’t eat that and another says yes eat that. Meat is killing us according to some and according to others we cannot survive without it. So what is true, what is “right”?
You are! When it comes to nutrition and what is best to eat, it is not based on what someone says is Healthy. It is about how the food makes you feel! Everyone is different! What is great for your friend, may be poison for you.
How do you feel about eating all raw foods or eating meat, or being a vegetarian? How does the food make you feel? Those are the questions to ask yourself, not who is right. So explore, experiment, research different ways of eating, hire a health coach. Just get curious and find what makes you feel best!
Of course sticking with whole foods is important. Not processed foods, full of toxins. Real whole foods. And with that remember we have the instincts to determine what is best for our bodies, we just have to rediscover that ability once again.
Start Now! Begin a food journey, what makes you and your body feel best? Share your journey with the Pure Wellness Essentials community on Facebook
You May also be Interested In
The world we live in today is jam packed with toxic chemicals everywhere. They are in our food, daily care products, even the air we breathe. And most of us are unaware of what is actually in the food we eat, the products we use, and the air we breathe. So how do we really even begin to remove these toxins from our lives? Educate yourself and get curious.
Educate yourself on what toxins are commonly found in our daily products. The average American puts 120 chemicals on their body before 9 am. From the shampoo, conditioner, face wash, shaving cream, moisturizer, toothpaste, etc. Here is a Toxic Avoid List I compiled. Go to www.ewg.com The Environmental Working Group's website and learn about what companies are putting in the products that you use. Read Gorgeously Green, a book by Sophie Uliano about keeping the toxins out of your life and still being Gorgeous. Check out the video Toxic Truth put out by Essante Organics. And do your own research see what you come up with. It is a big bad world out there and it is up to you to educate yourself on the things big companies don’t want us to know.
Once you have an understanding of what to look out for, Get Curious! Grab the three products you use most often and look at the ingredient list on the back, how many toxins did you find? I would love for you to share what you discovered on our Facebook page. Then jump into the world of toxic free products. I was shocked when I began looking at what I was putting on my body and when I began searching for products I was pleasantly surprised at the many options I had. There are many wonderful products out there that are chemical free and many wonderful ways to make your own chemical free products. Start Looking!
Explore not only your daily products, explore the companies producing the food we eat. What is in that food and is it really food? Look into the company that makes it and see what their values and ethics are.
In any case making your home and life toxic free is a journey. It is a journey I started 2 years ago and I am still learning and exploring. Take this journey one step at a time. Tackle your food then products or your products then food. Whichever comes first just start and start now! There is no time like the present!
Explore, Get Curious, Ask Questions, and Create that Toxic Free Environment you want!
I look forward to hearing about your journey!
You May Also Be Interested In
It is terrifying to learn the amount of toxic chemicals in the products we use every day! They are found on shampoo, conditioner, make up, toothpaste, face wash, hand soap, body lotion, baby products, and the list continues…I have compiled a list of what you want to avoid in your daily care products. Before I get into the list of toxins to avoid I want to mention, there is no definition for natural so when it says natural it does not always mean it is natural. Check the ingredients! Hypoallergenic means it has been tested and the majority had no issue, with that being said there is no solid definition. So check the ingredients! Avoid these!
- FRAGRANCE – This word is used to mask many other toxic ingredients, that have negative effects
- ALUMINUM – Carcinogenic and Toxic…usually found in deodorants, some make-up
- COAL TAR – FD&C BLUE 1, FD&C GREEN 3 – Tooth care products, shampoos, anti-itch creams
- TRICLOSAN – Carcinogenic
- MINERAL OILS – Coats the skin making it unable to breathe
- PARABENS – METHYL-,ETHYL-,PROPYL,BUTYL,ISOBUTYL-….Can cause damage to internal organs, Hormone Disruptor
- PEG- PROPYLENE –BUTYLENE GYCOL- ETHYLENE GLYCOL….Actually found in Anti-Freeze! Crazy I know! (Higher the number next to PEG the worse it is for you) – skin irritant, liver/kidney issues
- PHTHALATES – Can be hidden under FRAGRANCE, banned by European Union
- TALC – found in make-up, baby products, deodorant
- CARBOMER (934,940,941,960,961C) – causes eye irritation
- PARABENS & PHENOXYETHANOLS – hormone disruptors, can damage Liver & Kidneys
- FORMALDEHYDE – can be called HYDANTOIN, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA
- SLS –SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE – SODIUM LAURYL ETHER SULFATE – AMMONIUM LAURYL SULFATE – There are different opinions on these, Some say they are bad and others say they are not
- AMINE – DEA (MONO –TRI-ETHANYL)
Okay, now is the time to check out what you use every day. Look at the ingredient lists and you decide what kind of Products you want to use!
I compiled this list from my research over the past year, jotting down things here and there. If you think I am missing something on the list please email me and I will look into it email@example.com.
My Non-Toxic Alternatives will be posted soon, look out for it!
Post you May be Interested In